Saturday, January 17, 2009

Living together, young people will destroy each other.

There are creases in my bed that I have created with my body. They will form shapes like my body would seem without skin and gravity. The world will not carve me from onyx, it will wear me like granite. My body is not a rock, it is many smaller rocks that were forced together by natural causes. Earthquakes, tornadoes that prey on the illiterate, mudslides that are worse than the name suggests, whirlpools, half-assed rainbows in the spring. All of them are happening in extremely small doses to my nervous system. Is it obvious that I am thinking? That is why we are here: I am thinking too much. My mind is an army, and it loses more of itself by noon than most people lose in an entire day. We don't have a shot at making this work. My eyes are rolling beneath closed lids. Too much sensitivity to light can't be normal or good. The sun is near my body right now, as close as it will ever come. It pushes my shoulders down. It's hard to keep going. But, I will. I'm sorry. This is over.

1 comment:

S.E. Andres said...

Ryan, your writing is definitely getting better and better with every poem. I'm quite impressed. I wish I was in Muncie with you all reading in public places. I think I might set up some dates for my own readings soon at all the local libraries. Maybe even the Cincinnati public libraries. I don't know. Living in the country sucks for writers who try to get on the scene.

Sean